Museum number
2017.1
Object
Fan: 'Harrison Walk, Bath', ivory fan, attributed to Thomas Loggan, English, c. 1750
Description
This fan depicts a rare view of Bath's first assembly house, called the Lower Assembly Hall. Erected in 1708, it was also known as ‘Harrison’s Rooms’ after its architect Thomas Harrison, and featured an open riverside walk along the Avon, which was only accessible by subscription and was beautifully lined with sycamore trees and gravelled. The project was initiated by Richard 'Beau' Nash (1674-1761), an illustrious figure of Bath Society, who was Master of Ceremonies for the town from 1704 until his death and largely responsible for the rise of the spa town as a fashionable resort. The building which was almost completely destroyed in a fire on 21 December 1820, was rebuilt to house the Bath Royal Literary Institution but finally demolished in 1933 as part of a road-widening scheme.
On display?
Yes

Further description

Simple name
fan

Please help us improve our records. Let us know if there are any errors by writing to curators@holburne.org